Monday, March 22, 2010

Branching out...

I realize I haven't blogged in forever... Things have been crazy lately. I've had some struggles, and I needed to take some time to think. I've been meaning to give you an update (there were 5 half-started posts in my blogger account) but I didn't know what to say. And so many of you have been cheering me on... I really didn't want to disappoint you with my struggles and negativity... I needed some time to step back and think.

My workouts at the gym have been schizophrenic... I could have an amazing workout one day and then an awful one the next. I have been having some pain issues and have been struggling with motivation. My trainer has been trying to motivate me "Jillian-style", which doesn't really work for me. I believe that I give my all every time I exercise, but sometimes I just don't have much to give. I've been frustrating Sean to no end... and one day the tension even came to a head! He heard me say something horrible under my breath, and our workout ended short that day. And while things were okay after that, it was obvious that something had to change... because it's only a matter of time before the next breakdown at the gym.

I've been thinking a lot about the next step on this journey... Should I suck it up and continue the way things are -- you know tough it out? Should I find a new trainer and start over? Should I give in and make the appointment for gastric bypass surgery? What did I really want to do??? After much deliberation and prayer, I've come up with a new game plan...

I've decided to take a break from working with Sean. I think I need to prove to myself that I can workout and exercise on my own without a trainer. It's not like I'm going to have a trainer forever, and I have to have learned something over the past 2 years... It's both scary and exciting, but I think I'm ready.

I talked to Sean about my decision. He was very supportive and encouraging. We're going to try it for a month. I'll be checking in with him weekly to see how things go. If it's a disaster, the door is open to come back.

I'll keep you posted on how things go! Wish me luck...

Happy Monday!
LP

5 comments:

Cristina said...

I'm sure you've learned a lot over the past 2 years! You know what you have to do at the gym, you just have to get there and do it. Maybe this is the change you needed...something new and different! You can do it! I've been subscribing to the Oxygen magazine...every month it has great exercises...you should check it out. It's kind of nice to have that magazine to refer to when I'm in need of changing up my workout. Good Luck!

Kimberly said...

This is a great idea!! You can take ownership over your own fitness and I am sure it will be really rewarding, and not only for your health. Keep it up, woman!

rebeccainric said...

Hey Laura,
You can totally do it. I also subscribe to Oxygen and the recipes and excercises are great and it motivates me on days when I just don't feel like it. If you want I can bring you few back copies next time I clean and you can browse them before you decide to subscribe. Send me message on fb.
Rebecca

Missa said...

I think you and Sean have been dancing with the kiss goodbye for a while now. Give it a go, but keep yourself accountable. You are your coach now, so make sure you keep up with your workouts!

Cheers,
Missa
LosingEthel

Hope said...

I think this is a great idea! You know more than you give yourself credit for. :o) If you need any help with exercises or motivation, I'm here for you. Once the weather is nice (and stays nice), we could even meet somewhere to walk. Good luck on your new journey. You'll do amazing!!