Friday, April 17, 2009

Checking in...

So, my week off is coming to an end... I actually am pretty proud of myself for not letting my days off from work and the gym go to waste. And even though I still have the weekend, I will say that I didn't wreak havoc on my overall fitness goals. To recap...

- Sunday and Monday. I worked the afternoon (1-11p) shift. And even though work had it's ordinary frustrations, I managed to be efficient and get out of there almost on time. Truth be told, I actually stayed later at work just chatting with my friend who was just coming on. So, fairly good nights at work relatively speaking.

- Tuesday. I had to teach FCM (my small group class for junior med-students), which meant sitting through them practice doing histories and physical exams on patients who agreed to spend an hour with a med student. These are usually painful to sit through, but I found myself thinking about how special our volunteer patients are -- they answer a billion of personal questions and then sit through what is usually not the smoothest of physical exams, with the only goal of giving med students practice. I decided to write one of them a thank-you note.
After FCM, I took a spinning class with a friend from work. It was a lot of fun, but OUCH! I actually had a bruise in a rather unfortunate location. But I was so proud that I made it through the class. And I even got props from the instructor!

- Wednesday. Wednesday was a rainy, yucky day. The kind of day that you just want to stay in bed. My car was in the shop (my "check engine light" kept coming on intermittently"). I greatly underestimated how hard it was raining and I decided to walk to the Honda dealership to pick up my car. Well, that was a bad call because when I finally got there (it's a little more than a mile away) I was DRENCHED! Oh well, at least I got a little activity in.
I spent the rest of the day pampering myself... I went to the bookstore to get some new reading material, and then to the nail salon for a pedicure. Later, I had an appointment for a massage. I must say, I never thought I would be someone who enjoyed massages... I'm pretty self-conscious about my size. But I've learned to let that go and relax. I was so relaxed that I was even able to take my "check engine light" coming back on in stride.

- Thursday. Back to the Honda dealership in the morning (actually twice because the first time the light had gone back off) and I'm happy to report the problem is fixed. Next on the agenda was a trip to Fredericksburg for lunch with a HS friend who travelled to DC for work. It was so nice to catch up and the weather was absolutely lovely. Enough to put anyone in a fantastic mood!

- Friday. I weighed in at WW to make sure that I hadn't gained 10 lbs while not paying close attention to my diet (I hadn't... I stayed exactly the same). Then I dropped by the gym to visit with Sean. I wanted to schedule my assessment for tomorrow so that I can start fresh on Monday. We had a nice talk.
Later today I go for a facial. Should be another relaxing experience... never had one before.

So, that's all I have to report. Here's hoping all of this relaxation and self-nurturing helps me keep the stresses of the next 2 weeks in control (ah, yes... I start another 14 day stint at work). I'm going to try and find a little time for myself each of those days (kind of like a maintenance program)... I'll let you know how it turns out!

Have a wonderful weekend!


Stef said...

Sounds like a great week! Even though you were taking a "week off" - the things you did do, including walking, spinning, and - yes - the massage, pedi, and facial, were still all about taking care of yourself. Good for you!

The Carter Family said...

sounds like a wonderful week off, just what you needed to tackle this next stint at work!!