Friday, October 3, 2008

Water weight -- a dieter's best friend (and worst enemy)...

Hi guys,

Time to complain a little again (insert your sighs here)...

So, I think that I have mentioned (at least once or twice) how I back-slided a little with my recent vacation and gained some weight. Since my trip I have been weighing myself each day to get feedback and try to will the scale into saying something different. My trainer Sean HATES that I do this -- if he had his way, I would only weigh myself once every 6 weeks at my assessments (we compromised on once a week a long time ago). When I asked him why, he told me what I already knew -- that my weight is going to go up and down a million times a day and so it doesn't mean much of anything. I understand this, but I like to know anyway...

Which brings me to the topic of this post... ever notice how the beginning of any diet (or in this case "lifestyle change") is associated with huge numbers on the scale??? This loss is 95% water, but nevertheless is a huge ego boost... it often motivates us to keep going. Well, unfortunately the opposite happens when we cheat (by eating less healthy foods or drinking alcohol) we gain big numbers, which are at least in part water weight. (WARNING--- boys may want to just skip to the next paragraph... read at your own risk). And throw in the water weight that comes around that "wonderful" time of the month... it's enough to get even the most optimistic dieter discouraged!!! Aggh!

So, don't tell Sean, but maybe he is onto something -- I'm going to try and stay away from the scale... at least for the next week or so.

Thanks again for letting me vent.

Happy Friday!
LP

No comments: