Wednesday, November 19, 2008

An appropriate reality check...

So, tomorrow's the day! I'm due for my fitness assessment (actually overdue, but I asked to postpone it a week...) and ever since I made that silly goal, I've been obsessing about it. Not a healthy behavior at all... and even though I "called it off", I still stress over trying to reach it.

Truth is, it's not going to happen and I really need to let it go. There's no reason to discount all of the hard work I've done and progress I've made. I need to be proud of whatever I've accomplished and remember that I am in the middle of a marathon and not a sprint.

So, today I am going to try and focus on all of the changes I have made and how far I've come already. I make healthier choices every day. I'm consistently choosing to go exercise (even when I don't want to). I can do so much more than I could when I started -- just this morning I did an hour on the elliptical machine and went 9.6 miles! I can walk wherever I want and don't get back pain anymore. I also eat so much better than I did before. I'm actually cooking!!! I even channeled my inner Rachael Ray and made spaghetti squash the other day. But it's not just the diet and exercise, I really am more confident and more willing to put myself out there. Some of my friends comment that I'm a totally different person -- that I'm coming out of my shell. I don't know about all that, but I am a lot happier and comfortable in my body. These things are so much more important than a number on the scale or a measuring tape!

So I'm going to keep telling myself these things today. I know they're true and hopefully I can embrace them. I'll let you know how tomorrow goes but whatever the result -- I have a lot to be proud of!

Happy Wednesday -- halfway to the weekend!!!
LP

3 comments:

lydia eve said...

You are doing an awesome job of treating yourself like the princess you are. Keep up the good work, and good luck tomorrow!

Laura P said...

Thanks, Lydia... I think.
I'm not sure exactly what the princess thing means...
Thanks for the support and luck!

Meri said...

BRAVO! A wise person once said that a journey of a million miles begins with a single step ... and that Roma wasn't built in a day. Both apply here and you have to embrace that. We are not perfect, but you are making the right choices and changes, and that's all that matters!!!