Sunday, November 9, 2008

Easy like Sunday morning...

Hello,

I'm beginning to feel like my normal self... Yesterday was spent again just chilling out, napping, and watching mindless TV and then last night, I got together with some friends and played poker. This morning I slept in, which was much needed. After that, I was ready to start the day -- cleaning/organizing, catching up with emails and now checking in on my blog...

I have recognized a couple of patterns that are likely the barriers to success with my previous weight loss attempts. Over the last couple of weeks I caught myself eating out of stress. Last night I caught myself mindlessly snacking out of boredom (which is why I was so thankful when Hope asked me to come hang out). I've rid myself of so many unhealthy habits so far but apparently there are others I need to address. Just being able to identify the issue is encouraging; now I can be more mindful of this tendency and try to change the behavior. It made me think of something I learned along the way (not sure if it was from weight watchers or med school or some random girl's fitness magazine): the HALT mnemonic --for me, it should really be the HALTS mnemonic. It's designed to ask yourself "Am I going to eat this (insert food item here) because I'm Hungry, Angry, Lonely, or Tired (or Stressed)?" Any answer other than hungry should prompt you to take other action. I'm going to try and use it this week... I wanted to give it to you all in case it will help you, too.

Anyway, it's back to "work" for me. I want to get rid of all the clutter so that I can relax in a comfortable environment (and not worry should someone just stop by)...

Have a wonderful week!
LP

2 comments:

Meri said...

Never heard of HALTS, but it is sure a mnemonic! I'll be using it starting right now ... b/c I too fall victim to the mindless noshing when bored, or the anger/stress eating.

"Forgive yourself for the indiscretions, but don't forget them!"

Anonymous said...

Perfect. This is perfect. I was just eyeing the kids' graham crackers and started to think I should grab one or...ten cuz I was bored. Thanks for sharing a great tip!
:-)