Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Where will you be in a year???

Today I had to take my car in for it's 55K maintenance. So, I spent the better part of the afternoon hanging out in the customer lounge of the Honda dealership. I came prepared -- I brought my computer and cell phones, but unfortunately, my activities were not enough to occupy my child-like attention span. Luckily, they also had a TV to pass the time...

It was the prime time for talk shows and Dr. Phil came on. The episode was about his new weight loss challenge... The Ultimate Weight Loss Race, which is kind of a follow-up to his book from a few years ago. He's challenging overweight couples to race around the country in a quest for a healthier lifestyle. He had these couples on the show and they told their stories about why they should be chosen. In the past, these types of shows either gave me a short-lived inspiration (which would often peter out in less than a month) or just made me feel bad about myself and how bad I let myself go...

But then Dr. Phil posed a question that inspired this post. He asked, "Where will you be in a year? You could be on your way to a healthier life, or exactly where you are right now [at the same weight or heavier]." It made me think... He had posed this same question on his episode where he was promoting his weight loss book (which aired a few years ago). And, a year from then, I was in the exact same place in terms of health. However, this time was different... I'm very much in a different place, and in a year, who know's what I will accomplish??? The daydream about where I'll be in a year just made me smile...

Have a great day!
LP

No comments: